Tuesday, December 3, 2013

callie salad

12.03.2013


photo via jonathan canlas

It was the summer before my sophomore year in high school. My family was moving from North Carolina back to California right before school started but I was lucky. My Aunt Kris and her husband, Morgan invited me to come live with them for the summer before the rest of my family arrived. I learned a lot about myself that summer. And I also learned how to make this salad. I don’t remember where the original recipe came from, but I changed it so much and made it so much that my family and friends named it after me. Three years later after I moved out of the house to go to college, I think they missed this salad more than they missed me. It was also the first salad that Jon really liked to eat. It’s kind of magical. See for yourself!


callie salad
serves 4-6

½ cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1 clove of garlic, minced through a garlic press
1 T raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 bag European blend lettuce or 1 head of red leaf lettuce cut into bite size pieces
1 cup red grapes, halved
1 15 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted

In a small bowl combine cheese, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper. While quickly whisking the mixture, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Keep whisking to combine. Set aside.

In a large serving bowl combine lettuce, grapes, oranges and almonds. Top with dressing and serve immediately.

notes:
The dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Just whisk it all together again before serving.


Grilled chicken is a great addition to make this salad a little heartier. Makes for a delightful lunch or a light dinner.

p.s. to receive a couple extra "if i were..." menu ideas and secret recipes every month that i only share via email click here. 

3 comments:

  1. Why is my mouth watering every time I read a post? I'm for sure making this! Thank you for the delightful recipes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. I made this once with pasta instead of lettuce, and it was still divine.

    ReplyDelete